Mark is the Executive Director of the Center for Prophetic Imagination in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
In 2004, Mark and his wife Amy founded the Mennonite Worker, where they still reside. The Mennonite Worker is an urban intentional community committed to Jesus’ way of hospitality, simplicity, prayer, peacemaking, and resistance.
He is the author of A Wolf at the Gate, The unKingdom of God and That Holy Anarchist, the editor of the Missio Dei Breviary, and has contributed to several books (such as Viral Hope, Banned Questions about Jesus, Forming Christian Habits in Post-Christendom, and Widening the Circle). He’s been published at Sojourners, Geez Magazine, JesusRadicals.com, Leadership Magazine, the Mennonite, and Mennonite World Review. His work has been featured in the Minneapolis Star Tribute, the Boston Globe, and on CNN.com.
As the former co-producer of the Iconocast, Mark interviewed Cornel West, James Cone, Bill Ayers, Starhawk, Wazayatawin and many others. These days, he’s usually on the other side of the virtual microphone.
Mark’s has a B.S. in Ministry from the University of Northwestern, an M.Div. from Bethel Theological Seminary, and studied Spiritual Direction at the University of St. Catherine’s graduate school. He is a former adjunct instructor at Bethel Seminary, where he taught courses on applied ecclesiology and Christian radicalism.
For the past decade, Mark has traveled around the continent as a teacher, organizer and spiritual provocateur.
Articles Featuring Mark
- CNN: Mourn on the 4th of July: Inside the Christian Anti-Patriot Movement
- The Mennonite: Mark Van Steenwyk: A Mennonite Anarchist
Some interviews with Mark
- Work of the People
- Debate with Keith Giles on Libertarian Christian Podcast
- Interview by Christian Piatt
- Interview on the Wright Show
- Can I Say This At Church
Mark’s favorite interviews (as the interviewer) from the Iconocast
- Interview with Bill Ayers
- Interview with Waziyatawin (Part One, Part Two)
- Interview with Jin Kim
- Interview with James Cone
- Interview with Cornel West
- Interview with Jim Douglass
Mark’s Deep Roots Episodes
- At Play with the Holy Fools
- Bayard Rustin, Forgotten Prophet
- Simone Weil, Red Virgin
- Ernesto Cardenal, Revolutionary Priest
- The Beguines
- Benjamin Lay
Mark on Social Media